Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 PM
OdessaQuilts

I prefer an English thimble to a leather one; they last longer. An English thimble is metal and has a nice ridge around the top edge. I've worn holes through leather thimbles very quickly. But it all depends on how you quilt. If you start with leather, a little trick you might want to try is to take the tab from a pop can (the old type with the ring attached, which you remove first) and place it over the tip ofyour finger,under the leather thimble. This will give you the security of not having the needle pierce the leather and stick you.

I also like to keep a pair of tweezers nearby. Put some clear nail polish on the tips in a fairly thick layer. Let it dry. When you have trouble grasping the needle to pull it through with too many stitches on it (or, if your fingers are fat like mine and it's hard to grasp the needle and pull), this little gizmo will help grab the needle and pull it through with less stress on the fingertips and joints.

enjoy your experience. take your time. and understand that no one is perfect right away. you are bound to have some "toe-hookers" (big stitches), but with practice they will get better and more even. there's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment you get when you are hand quilting a piece, especially if it's a gift made with lots of love for someone you love.