View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM
cwcquilters

Originally Posted by knitwitrosie View Post
of looking into buying a new sewing machine. I currently have a Janome 525s and have only used it for piecing and regular sewing so far. I'm currently working on my first "real" quilt and am anxious about doing the actual quilting on my machine. I think I'm going to attempt to quilt it on my current machine (it's going to be about 42" x 42" when complete), but I'm worried that the bigger quilts I have planned are going to be difficult using a machine with such a small throat. Hence, I've started the search for a new machine.

Over the weekend, Hubby and I stopped at the Viking store inside of JoAnns and I looked at an Opal 670 which I quickly fell in love with, but quickly started drooling over the 670Q model. Totally out of my price range Same goes for the Janome MC6300P. Has all the features I'd like, just a little bit more than I wanted to spend right now.

Hubby started searching Craig's List to see what we might be able to find, and we came across a 2-year old Singer Quantum 9960 for $300. It comes with a TON of accessories, an extension table, and even a FMQ foot! I was going to jump on it until I realized that I could buy one brand new with the same amount of accessories along with a warranty for $329 on Amazon. She wasn't willing to budge on the price, so I had to pass, but I'm still considering the model.

I also started checking out the model right above that one, the Singer Quantum 9970. Little bit more expensive, but comes with the same amount of accessories and stuff.

Am I wasting my time looking at Singers? I heard they're not as good as they used to be. I really am thinking I'm going to need something a bit bigger to do the quilts I want to do, and maybe I should just hold off until I can afford one of the higher end machines (which who knows when that will be).
I have the Singer Quantum 9970 and have had no problems with it. It does a beautiful job. I also have 2 other Singers that have never given me any problems. I know this is not true for everyone, but it is for me.