View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 08:19 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
The tension is set at 1.5, where it has been set all along and has had no problems.
1.5 is your usual setting? That's terribly low...

I'm going through five layers of cotton (foundation piecing) and one layer of batting when the thread snaps. This machine should be able to handle this. My Singer 401 can, and they are very much alike.
I agree, that should be a snap,..

It's my first time using the glue. Yes, the edges could be ragged. I skipped (pressing) that step because the iron was downstairs and my knees objected. I was careful not to use too much glue. I did smooth most of it out with a toothpick.
It would be worth trying the same sort of thing on a test sandwich that doesn't have glue in it...

The thread is shredding, but not a lot.
Shredding indicates abrasion - needle, glue, burr somewhere... it's possible the burr is somewhere the thread doesn't normally feel it, but with the added bulk and possbility of even a little deflection of the needle it could be just enough.

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
The first time I went back to sew with it, it made a loud noise and the spool almost jumped off the spool pin. I removed the quilt from the machine and opened the bobbin area. I found a mess, including that the bobbin assembly had jumped out of it's position.
If the spool jumping wasn't from the bobbin case teleporting, it got a giant fast yank of the thread. It would be worth investigating the whole thread path for burrs and other snag spots.

It might be a good idea now anyway with the bent needle and displaced bobbin case. There may be a new burr.

Things were fine until I tried to sew fast. Then every time, the thread frayed and snapped. I have noticed that this machine will do exactly that when I sew fast no matter what thread or needle I use. I am beginning to think that the problem is the sewing speed, or when the motor first starts. Does anyone know why this is happening?
Is there any chance at all that when you speed up, you tend to push the fabric rather than just guide it? I used to do that a lot. When the motor first starts, there's a little bit of lash to take up at the handwheel because of that motor gear, but I don't -think- it would cause a problem here....

When the machine runs faster though, like anything - the more motion, the bigger a deal everything is. Something just a little out may be a big deal at higher speed.