View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 05:12 AM
J Miller

Crocee,

We just had another thread here earlier this week and last about someone with a Kenmore Commander. The OP actually rewired their machine due to the jury rigged wiring. It's easy to do.

You can get replacement cord sets at SEW-CLASSIC and others. You can, or might, find replacement screws at any good hardware store that stocks small machine screws. Those would probably be a #2 size or maybe 2 mm.

That machine is a White made machine and the hand wheel rotates away from you as you sew. If you turn it towards you it won't pick up the bobbin thread properly. Otherwise they are excellent machines.

When you get it running if there is a vibration look at the rubber on the drive wheel. If there is any flat spots, probably will be, that will be the cause of the vibration. Besides replacing the drive wheel you can sometimes move it in or out on the motor shaft and put a smooth area on the hand wheel. That's what I did on one of mine. I think SEW-CLASSICS has those too and there are other places that do also.
To hear what a racket a flat spotted drive wheel can cause look through this thread for the video on the naked Kenmore running. Most of that roar is caused by the flat spots on the drive wheel.
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t189987.html }
The video is on top of page two.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 06-06-2014 at 05:21 AM.