View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Jamesbeat

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
If the wiring is in good shape and there are no bare spots (which as far as I'm concerned negates the "in good shape") and the connectors and connections are properly terminated I really wouldn't go to the effort. Technically, a 2 prong plug is still "legal" or I wouldn't have so many modern appliances with them including laptops.

My cousin is an electrician AND she's a quilter and vintage machine collector and has also never mentioned needing, being so inclined or concerned that they needed to be brought up to modern standards. Only that the wiring be properly done with no exposed wire.
Two-prong is only 'legal' if the device is double-insulated. Nowadays, this usually means that the casing of the device is plastic, like your laptop charger.

Devices in metal casings should be grounded so that if there is a fault in the insulation and the external metal surfaces become live, it will be diverted to ground.

Machines like ours, wired in the way they are, do not meet the safety standards of today.

It's true that they are probably safe enough provided you inspect them frequently for signs of damaged insulation, I'm certainly not trying to scare anyone.

J Miller, it is reassuring to know that the mode of failure on your foot pedal didn't create a dangerous situation, but that could have turned out different if the coil had broken somewhere else along its length.

I caught my 3 year old daughter copying me by pressing the foot pedal (with bare feet!) the other day. Naturally, I never leave the machine plugged in unattended, so there was never any danger, but it gave me pause for thought.

I think I've thought of a way around this, and I'll take photos along the way in case others want to do the same.

Last edited by Jamesbeat; 06-06-2014 at 04:31 PM.