Old 06-07-2014, 05:44 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I do have the Sebro book; I will recheck it for any info on wiring. I haven't bought the DVDs by Dave McCallum because they are pretty pricey. I'm not sure whether to spend that $$$ on the DVDs or a repair person!!
This will depend on your personality but I prefer to spend money on a reference that will last me a lifetime rather than a repair that if done right will last me 6 months. Besides, most won't get into motor stuff, other than changing the brushes.

It's sort of that "give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day." No wait. That's not it....

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
DonnaC,

I had that exact same thing happen with a 201. Sews fine, stop to do something, push on the controller it won't go. Touch the hand wheel and zoom away it went.

What I found out was that the commutator, brushes and their tubes was contaminated with oil. I carefully removed the brushes and cleaned them and the springs and caps with denatured alcohol, then used a q-tip with the alcohol to clean the commutator and brush tubes.

End of problem the machine works fine now.

Joe
Do it growl when you step on the pedal or do nothing at all? It's possible too that the pedal needs adjustment. I hope it's not the motor, they're a little finicky to deal with on the FW because the wires are so short and the motor casing is a little more challenging. Not un-doable, just a little more of a pain

I would also make sure that the belt isn't too tight. How's the temperature of the motor once it's been running a while?

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Bingo. The brushes are in tubes on either side of the motor and "brush" against the commutator as it spins around.
I think Rain might have a tutorial on http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/