Old 06-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Butterfli19

Originally Posted by Diane R View Post
I, like you, do not yet belong to a guild but I am considering joining. And reading your post has meaning for me as I went to a quilt show put on by the local guild today....I walked around admiring quilts, gained inspiration and considered in awe the work and artistry of each unique quilt. Which makes me want to join....maybe....

I can be a bit shy and therefore have not yet joined and after going to the show today and reading this post, now think I should.

Does anyone find that people who don't know a thing about quilting assume it's a hobby only for little old ladies with nothing else to do? It's a perception I find rampant......until they ask me if I can sew their daughter a dress or something....lol
I've been sewing since Home Ec in 8th grade. Made all my clothes through Junior year, then stopped until I had my daughter. Made TONS of things for her, including cloth dolls and accessories. Then came my son and I made a few things for him as well. I've made a maternity maid of honor dress for my sister, countless flower girl dresses, curtains, crib sheets, pillowcases, jeans, jackets, tops. After tiring of garment sewing (not really, it was more the people) I started sewing for dolls, which was fine but they don't say much.

So I taught myself to quilt, and loved it. Love it. I get excited about fabric. I love seeing the bright colors, feeling the quality, picturing what I could do with it, and am now pushing myself to venture beyond printed patters and try to figure out my own. My kids, now 27 and 21, humor me, but it's not the same as someone who *gets it*. I'm single, and have no girlfriends so unless I meet a man who sews (my fabric Prince, lol) I need to mingle with fabric-minded people. As introverted as I am, I have to do this.

I too find people are surprised when they find out I've sewn garments and THAT conversation they don't mind having, but they act as if quilting ho-hum, anyone can do it, or, that it's a waste of time. Ack!