View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 06:27 AM
Quossum

It takes all the fun out of a hobby to do it for money. Besides, entering into a "business" relationship with friends or family often ends badly.

I had an internet friend I considered "close." I had a new book of patterns of various breeds of dogs, and I offered to make a wall hanging for her featuring her breed. She took me up on my offer...but wanted me to make the wall hanging for a friend of *hers,* that I didn't even know. Huh? Though that totally hadn't been the point, I didn't have a spine and reluctantly gave in to her, "But you'd be making a wall hanging anyway," and agreed to do it. Now it became more a commission piece (that I was doing for free), with my friend dictating the colors, the styles, critiquing my work (she was not a quilter)--I finished it and sent it off to her, but our friendship didn't survive. Once she received it, oohed and ahhed over it appropriately, and told me how much her friend loved it...I never heard from her again.

I make a quilt for our club's annual party, and without fail someone asks me how much I charge, would I make them one...I don't even get into prices; I just say, "This is a hobby for me; doing commissions takes the fun out of it." (Though my buddies do eventually get one!)

--Q