View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I asked DH if he could make one like the one I have. He said yes but the quality wood used was costly, the shape of the handle, smoothing, and joining would take a lot of time why not just buy another one if it was available. I got the impression it was the same as when someone asks me to replace a zipper. LOL
Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I've seen these but not used one. Couldn't a person just use a piece of 2x4 or plywood to lay on the seam? You could add some sort of knob or handle if needed. Or, does it need to be made from a specific type wood? I ask because we have many, many,.....lots of pieces of wood in the garage that could potentially be used this way. Margaret
These are made from a very dense, heavy wood with an extremely close grain. I believe mine is maple. Onebyone's husband is correct in that the wood is on the pricy side. You really don't need the carved handle, but the bottom needs to be perfectly flat. Soft wood, like 'white' wood 2X4's would absorb the steam and the grain would pop, I would also guess that plywood would delaminate thru use.