Thread: Labeling fabric
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 11:39 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by Loretta
I don't document my fabrics, but I should. At a recent class on appraising for insurance purposes, we were told to document fabrics as well as the quilts. Some people have a stash that is worth hundreds of dollars. If you don't have the stash documented, you can't claim it after a fire.
Not sure what you were told, Loretta, but my understanding of insurance claims is somewhat different. Receipts for fabric used for quilts will be questioned because you are using it, thus reducing the value. More appropriate is the replacement cost, so all you would need is the total yardage that was lost and a photo of the stash (easier than most art supplies to account for I'd say).

It might be worth spending a day adding up the yardage currently on hand, then adding the yardage of any new purchases as you get them and subtracting yardage used in projects as you make them. That way you'd have a running total of yardage on hand in case of fire or flood for insurance reasons. And if you have more than 100 yards, which many of us do easily, then your stash is worth thousands, not hundreds, of dollars.