Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 PM
kluedesigns
Banned

Originally Posted by Brazen
Thank you Klue, Blue and SewSew!! I wondered if I would feel the "addictive" part of this, and I do! I hope that feeling carries me thru the 18 months so this doesn't end up as another UFO for me.

So I broke out the DJ software to see about printing up our first blocks' pattern: M8

I'm only familiar with Amma's tutorial.... and when I printed out the paper piecing pattern for M8, it's in sections, and not one whole block that I sew the fabric on to.

So this time, I work in sections? And when all of the sections are complete, THEN sew those together to finish the block? That does make sense; even typing it out here helps me figure it out.

Section B's #5 pieces are INSANELY small!

Oh, and I didn't mention last night in my post (at 2am!!!) that I now know what you all mean by "waste" fabric that PP'ers have. I wasted ALOT doing that one little block up there. It seemed that if I cut my piece of fabric right down to 1/4" bigger than it needed to be, it was too small. So I was using very large chunks of the fabric to do it.
yes, you sew setions and then sew the sections to make the block.

very few paper piecing patterns or blocks aren't in sections. amma did that tute with that pattern because its the easiest one to learn PP on.

when you start sewing the sections together, leave the paper on the sections except if a seam is going to trap the paper behind it.

if you're going to trap paper behind a seam while sewing it together remove that seam paper section only - this way nothing will get trapped behind the seam and the seam will lay flatter because you've removed some of the bulk.