View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

hi and welcome!
I thought about this and decided to reply this way:

THINGS i WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY IF I JUST STARTED QUILTING:

1 I would buy more coordinated fabrics that somebody else already designed to go together.
It would take a lot of guessing and hemming and hawing out of it for me and I wouldn't do so much (did), impulse buying.

2 I would start with shelves instead of totes too heavy to lift, and have to bend over to go through.

3 Since i would have my projects more color coordinated, I wouldn't end up with so much stash that
I'll have to pass down to my dgd. (in other words...saved the money for bills etc.)

4 I wouldn't go buy fabrics ahead of time for my kids and grandkids when they tell me what they like.
I would wait till i was ready to make their quilt...BC THEY CHANGE THEIR MINDS and I end up with
lots of money spent on something that sits on the shelf.

5 I wouldn't buy so much that I can't keep it refolded. Creases can set in permanently. I would have less, more of my favorites and put tin foil around cardboard so I could wrap the fabric not tight, so creases and such
wouldn't be such a threat.

6 I would keep my fabric shelves covered like I have for years to protect from dust and light that fades.

7 I would take samples of my fabrics with me when looking for a certain color etc. so I wouldn't keep
guessing and buying the wrong thing.
I had a blast buying fabrics, but it was always followed by a crash. (buyer's remorse...bc I could never quilt as fast as I could buy.)

8 I would have a really comfortable, roll around chair. (I do)

9 I wouldn't stock up heavily on threads that can depreciate over time. (I haven't done too terribly awful here.)

10 I wouldn't get so caught up with every famous quilters "way"...lots of them have their own techniques and
tools to go with. oops! more money = more space needed to store them and not enough time to try them out!

11 I would go easier on myself and end up making more quilts etc.

Last edited by Mousie; 06-09-2014 at 10:07 AM.