Thread: My Barn Quilt
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM
buslady

Originally Posted by dottie dodge View Post
I really like your barn quilt. Was it hard to paint? What kind of paint did you use and did you protect it with anything? I would really like to do one of these.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. It has been a busy couple of weeks. I found a picture of something similar and tried to draw it out myself, I got it all drawn out small and got the paint together for it, but when I tried to draw it out on the side of the shed I kept getting 'confused'. I finally got out a roll of craft paper that was 36" wide and used my quilting tools to draw out a 1/4 template. I cut out around the outer post section and taped it with painters tape for stability. Then I put some tape on the intersections of all the lines and poked a hole with a pencil. at the point that would be the center of my star, I put extra tape and made a hole there, as well. I put a nail in the wall right in the center and hooked my template on it. I taped it up to the wall and drew around the outside and marked all the intersections through the holes. Then I used my quilt rulers and a pencil to draw in the lines,. I turned the template and repeated the process 4 times until I had a complete circle. Then I used painters tape and blocked off sections to paint. I used an exterior house paint. I bought it in yellow, orange and blue. 1 quart each. And a quart of white. When I got home, I poured a little of each color in a pint jar and added about the same amount of white to it and mixed it up. I used regular canning lids to seal the jars when not using. I think I might paint over it with a clear sealer, just to help it last a little longer. I am so happy and proud of my work. Can you tell????? LOL