View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
The guild I belong to has national teachers come and give talks and give classes. We are required to pay the fee which is non-refundable. The last instructor we had gave a class for $35.00 and at a national quilt show the same class was $80-$100. I understand why you are concerned but our bus trips are the same way. They are non-refundable unless you can get someone to take your place. I had to miss a class that I had paid for due to my illness but I knew it was non-refundable and accepted it. You don't want a teacher to show up and then no students.

Our guild was having problems with folks signing up for the free classes (and our space is not large enough to have all sewing--only about a fourth of the members), so we have gone to a nominal fee(varies depending of supplies provided) and a waiting list. Even though these are practically free compared to national shows, any teacher--national or guild member--must prepare and feels slighted if attendance is low. Plus, since not all members are able to participate, it seems fair that those of us taking the class should off-set the cost at least some instead of the guild paying for copying directions, etc for just a few.