View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 01:55 PM
J Miller

Jim,
I wish that was it. This little thing doesn't sew very fast.

foufymaus,
I'm afraid of that too.

Steve,
Predictable in that it will happen, but not predictable when or where in the stitch.

Candace,

I haven't gotten to the timing yet. That was next on my list.

No secret about the model, I just didn't want to mention it until I had an answer or two. Sometimes when the model is known people get a preconceived notion, and I wanted some generic answers.

The machine is a 1946 vintage Feather Weight 221-1.

It's back ground is that it's owner bought it untested. Found it wouldn't sew and took it to person who was a Singer FW fan. This person took the bobbin hook drive off, disassembled it, and then told her it couldn't be fixed and that it would cost $250.00 for parts. She said no thanks.
I said I'd do my best.
The bobbin case base, the part the bobbin case mounts in, that's held stationary by the needle plate, was bent on the right side where the cross cuts are. That was putting it in bind which caused the machine to jam.
I stoned it down until it would fit and rotate freely in the rotary hook assembly and reassembled the hook drive to the machine.

The bobbin case had a broken latch on it. I found one of those and replaced it. The replacement latch wasn't exactly like the original and I had to fix that too. It now works.

I did take a look at the hook timing when I fist reassembled the machine. It is off just a bit. I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem, so I didn't retime it.

I will do that next.

Joe