Thread: Blessings
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Daylesewblessed

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I noticed the thin little border immediately....I have tried that in the past, but mine did not come out so straight....may I ask how you did it? And how wide is it?
The border is about 3/16 of an inch in width. The technique involves first attaching a narrow border about 1-1.5" in width to the quilt, and then pressing and trimming the seam allowance to 1/8 inch. The other edge of the narrow border can be trimmed now or later, depending on the design of the outer border (hard to explain). The outside edge of the seam allowance is used as a guide for the sewing line used to attach the outer border. Accuracy in trimming the seam allowance will make it easier to make an accurate second seam. Because I think such a narrow seam allowance compromises the strength of the seam, I use a very small stitch length.

I have seen tutorials on the subject of skinny borders that approach it a little differently. In any case, words are not sufficient. In fact, I have to bring out my little sample each time.