View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 AM
cmangosing12

I, too, am scouring the internet to find out the difference between an heirloom quilt and a regular quilt. I know what heirloom means and I get that if I have one that was in my family for decades, it would be an heirloom quilt. But when people talk about MAKING an heirloom quilt, are they just saying that they're making a quilt that they want to become an heirloom? Is there a difference in style or materials between an (intended) heirloom quilt and a regular quilt? I really think that is what the lady who originated this question wanted to know. I want to know, too. It just seems odd to me that there is some sort of difference because I would make all quilts the same quality and then one would become an heirloom if they just kept it all those years. So if a home sewer starting out by making an heirloom, what would she call all the other quilts she makes? When people talk about making an heirloom quilt - what is the non-heirloom quilt referred to as? If I "intended" for one to be an heirloom, does that just mean that it is one I am keeping in the family and not giving away or expect my family won't actually use it? Hopefully, someone doesn't think me ignorant, and, if so, I apologize in advance. With all the talk about heirloom quilting, it seems obvious that the question is, "Heirloom, as opposed to what.....?" I mean, what techniques would be different for heirloom quilting that any other quilting? Would it mean that you just make it with extra care rather than just slapping it together?

Last edited by cmangosing12; 06-11-2014 at 04:34 AM.