View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:41 PM
tessagin
Power Poster

That Peter guy from Australia has videos on how to downsize. He also says if it hasn't been used in between 6-24 months send it out get rid of it. If you bring something in get rid of something.
Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
It is really hard to say. I have tried to downsize since I had to help clean out my mother's house after she passed. We would tease my parents that the family motto was, "Never throw anything away that might have future use." Let me tell you about the bags full of bags we found, but lets say there were at least 10, upstairs. And those wonderful little plastic boxes you get with salads, or pastries, or other wonderful little food items - we stopped counting when we reached 100. They had more books than a small library.

So when I came home I started thinking if I hadn't used it in a year it was time to get rid of it. Went thru my dresser and got rid of a lot, but not as much as I planned. Went out to the garage and found old planters we haven't used in over 15 years, and various other items in boxes. My husband was thrilled since I was making more room for his things. And then there was my sewing room, scraps that people have given me, that I was sure I would never use, other fabric that I saved and lots of flannel. There were several larger pieces that I bought years ago and though I still liked it, there were no recent plans so off it went. And who doesn't have left over batting? A friend was over playing with my embroidery machine and I was getting ready to throw out my bits and pieces of batting, she said her daughter wanted it to make purses and bags. Yeah!!! It went to good use and out of my house.

I am not sorry that I got rid of anything. Because I still buy more books than I can read in a month, I only subscribe to one quilt magazine and when i see that fabric I can't resist - it comes homes. So next month after my daughter moves out it is time to do it again and hopefully go through a few more cabinets.