View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 PM
sunkistmi

Question Answered prayer-new 'baby' in the house

I have been looking for a Featherweight for quite a few years but have never found one of those "great deals". I look at Craigslist off and on but it seems that they just keep going up in price. Monday, took a quick look and saw a 1951 Centennial in excellent shape (from the pic), including all the attachments, original book and case. It was listed for $300 which was still more than I had. I took a chance and emailed the seller, asking if they would be willing to take less. I explained that I had been looking for one for a long time but since I work in kitty rescue, everytime I save up some money, it seems to end up getting used for emergency vet bills. I hit SEND, said a little prayer and a little while later, received a reply. He asked how much I could spend. As I wrote back, I wanted to convey that I didn't want to insult him but that $150 was all I could do. I was shocked when he wrote back that he and his fiance commended me on my rescue work and that if I could come up with $175, it was mine! Plus they would donate a couple bags of food for the kittys. The next day, I am the proud owner of a beautiful Centennial Featherweight. The lady said it was her grandma's and she only used it a couple of times. I even found the key for the locks. It looks brand new. I plugged it in and....
the motor runs but the needle doesn't go up and down. It won't even move when I turn the wheel. I'm sick. Am I doing something wrong? The guy said it "ran like a top". Can anyone give me any ideas where to start? I have heard so much about the amazing piecing on these little machines so I had my fabric ready and waiting. I sat on the floor and cried. I suppose it could be something as minor as needing a new belt. They said it had been sitting in the basement since the grandmother died in 1959.
I'm hoping some of the experts out there can help me out. I was so excited and feel like a deflated balloon. I would appreciate ANY help. Thank you.