View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

The quilts that are not considered. 'Heirlooms'. Are generally, simply. 'Utility'. quilts... Quilts made to be used in a daily setting, laundered often-will wear out with time. Heirloom's tend to be treated a bit more (gently). If I make a quilt I consider an heirloom I let the recipient know it should be gently used & how best to care for it-when I make Utility quilts I also include laundering/care instructions-and let them know when it wears out I can make another one. I have made a few. 'Heirloom' quilts over the years... The first one on purpose, a crazy quilt made of siks, velvet, antique lace, lots of embellishments. The next one was a wedding gift and the recipient loved it so much she asked for a hanging sleeve so she could display it without it being used/worn out. I also made a quilt I did not consider any like what I consider 'Heirloom' , the person who received it sure thought of it that way though. Has taken really good care of it and included it in his will... So, you can make them on purpose (&hope for the best) or you can make what you think of as an. Everyday quilt & it can become one.