Thread: Design "Wall"
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 AM
MsHeirloom

Default Design "Wall"

In my continuing effort to declutter and redecorate my studio my biggy yesterday was to finally get a "design wall." I have very little wall space, so I just made one for the back of a shelving unit that is placed jutting out into the room (think room decider). Small, but convenient and serviceable. After all my internet exploration, the consensus seems to be that automotive headliner fabric is the best for design walls. Fabric patches stick to that better than flannel which many people use. On the internet and on here, many quilters have two 4 X 8' foam insulation boards covered with flannel and mounted on a wall of their studio. In my dreams would I have room for that! Gray color is recommended. This particular shelf is 36" wide. I only had to buy a yard- it's 60" wide. Nice and thick with a foam backing. I put a pink corduroy binding on the rectangle, turned it sideways, and clipped it to the back of the shelf. Ta Da! A design wall. I then clipped a similarly sized quilt over top of that for visual appeal. When I want to design, I'll flip up the quilt. It would also be a nice, portable item to take to a quilting escape sometime in the future.