View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 03:43 PM
ptquilts

this hit home as we just moved from our house to a furnished rental condo. I got rid of a lot of stuff I liked. Stuff that belonged to my mom who died 50 years ago. I kept a few things, about 25% of the clothes I had. I did keep most of my larger pieces of fabric but got rid of a lot of small scraps. They all went to good homes.

I feel that the reason most people have so much stuff is, they never have to deal with it. Either your heirs do it after you die, or if you move, you can hire someone to pack it all up and move it. I have always been very cognizant of what someone would have to deal with if I died. If I pictured them shaking their head and saying, "Why on EARTH did she save that?" - out it went. A friend whose elderly mother died told me, in her house, she had a room filled with nothing but jars. I didn't want to be like that.

The reason we moved is DH's health. He just can not do stairs anymore and we had a raised ranch, steps either way to get into it. I find I did not mind getting rid of anything as long as I have HIM. When someone you love faces a health crisis (his is lymphoma) everything else gets put into perspective. I want to say, People, they are just THINGS. They may be pretty things, useful things, or things someone gave you, but in the end they are just things. They don't matter.