View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 04:55 PM
JudyTheSewer

We too downsized. We used to live in a 4,000 sq. ft. house with a 5 car garage and a shed. When we first knew we wanted to move we filled a 20 yard dumpster with accumulated junk from living in the same house for 20 years (saved jars, coffee cans, Big Wheels from when the kids were little, etc..). Then, once the house actually sold (which was 3 years later) we rented another 20 yard dumpster and filled it again. I also took carload after carload of items to the charity stores.

1. If things held a memory for me but I didn’t need the actual item anymore, I snapped a digital picture of it. This way if I ever want to see my stuff again I can. Then, out the item went!
2. I saved and moved only my favorite furniture. The rest we gave away and decided that if we needed more furniture at the “new” house we would buy it there.
3. I packed every last spool of thread, scrap of fabric, and sewing machines!!!! (Again, stuff I love came with us)
4. Anything that was bulky or non-sentimental and fairly inexpensive to replace did not make it into the moving truck. E.g.: Christmas wrapping paper, bird feeders, hoses, rakes, shovels, garbage cans, board games, jigsaw puzzles, etc.
5. Several pickup loads of great stuff went off to live with our brothers and sisters. E.g.: tractor lawn mower, push lawn mower, snow blower, ladders, hoses, rakes, shovels, wheel barrow, tree pruning items, chainsaw, plant pots, patio furniture, bikes, stools, etc. None of this was sentimental to us and it went to good homes. The only things we needed to replace at this new house was a shovel, a hose, and a push lawn mower.

Everything we took with us fit into a 26 foot truck and was moved half way across the country. As it turned out, we really didn’t downsize much since our 3,600 sq. ft. home is only 400 sq. ft. less than the one we left. However, our belongings are MUCH less and we bought second hand furniture from CL to fill the empty rooms as required. That was very affordable and we got furniture that we like a lot better than what we gave away!

I do NOT regret getting rid of that stuff and have not missed one item. But, as others have said, if you love it, then keep it. If it was something I loved but didn’t feel I needed the actual item in my possession anymore then I snapped a picture so that I could always have the memory which was the important thing to me.

I did still save and bring a lot of stuff to our new city. That 26 foot truck emptied into a 10X30 foot storage locker until we found a house. Luckily everything fit easily into this house with room to spare! I am glad I did not toss things that would be expensive to replace or things that I love. I am surrounded by items my kids made and gave me, my wedding cake topper, my favorite set of encyclopedias (from the 1920’s), my china and formal serving pieces (which I do use), etc.. I hope your downsizing ends up being all positive.