View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 AM
LynnVT

What a great thread! I am also a keeper - memories, things, family photos, and of course lots of fabric and sewing stuff. I've been making Linus quilts with some of the "dead women's fabric" that I've been given, but I love having plenty to choose from when I have an idea to make something different.
I also watched Peter Walsh's shows, but I do not agree with arbitrary things like throwing out anything you don't use in a year or 6 months. Christmas only comes once a year, and there have been years we went away and didn't do a tree, but I'm not about to toss and rebuy things like that. I make it a point to use things like all my dishes by entertaining now and then. If I invite company I'm not going to put a paper plate on the table unless it's a picnic in the yard. So I can do a farewell party for a church member and serve 20 or 30 people on a variety of nice china with real cups and mugs or glasses. I enjoy having the leisure to be a hostess, so I'll wait some years before emptying everything out. But there were some great ideas here, like the favorites line.
We redecorated our living room and office about 6 years ago and put all our 33 r.p.m. records in a dumpster after checking that there was no reasonable way to sell them around here. I figured we could get CDs of the old music, and we have gotten some, but not much of it is still available. We both really feel bad that we lost so much of our favorite Christmas music which is not around any more, and I miss those 1960s albums of Kingston Trio, Chad Mitchell Trio, Harry Belefonte, and so forth. Now I see you can buy a unit that will play the album and record it to create a CD or save the files on your iTunes account, but we didn't know about those at the time. But of course, it is just stuff, and some day we'll have to get rid of lots of it.
Good luck in your move. It's hard to let go, but I'm sure it's freeing to set off to a new future.