View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
It's a type of selfishness, I think. And before anybody gets mad at me, I think a certain degree of selfishness is required for a person to stay balanced and sane. I freely admit to being a selfish person.

What I mean is:

I'm willing to invest a lot of time (and money) on enriching myself and my life. For me, quilting is enriching.

I am not nearly as willing to invest a lot of time on a task that is done per someone else's orders.

Time is the one thing I can never earn more of, and selfishly, I reserve a lot of my "spare" time for living my own life.

I could be selfless and give and give and give, but that's not a healthy way to live life and eventually I'd have nothing to give anymore. SO, I am selfish with my time. I'm generous with giving away what comes out of that time, but I REFUSE to take orders about what to do with that time.

Maybe if my quilting could generate the same kind of income as my day job, I'd consider switching jobs. Maybe I'd switch to quilting for a paycheck and programming for fun, instead of the other way around. But either way, I'm going to selfishly hold part of my time for ME.

And I'm unapologetic about it, I think it's healthy to be that way and anybody who tries to convince me otherwise is probably trying to take advantage of me!
Bravo! A good way to explain taking care of oneself.