Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 PM
KenmoreRulesAll

We need a page dedicated to Grant's Rants. That was awesome. Man, this site is overwhelming me with info. And Grant's monologue is as good a time as any to say that although I'm late to the Singer party, I'm beginning to make up for lost time. I used to look at these black Singers and ask why anyone would buy them. I've really changed in, oh, the last 6 months. I purchased a 201-2 recently, a 15-90 (that needs a new motor housing and lamp collar):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479035[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]479037[/ATTACH]

And yesterday a 15-91:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479040[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]479041[/ATTACH]

I never thought much of these Singers (66, 99, 201, 15, 128, etc.) because they all look so similar and I had never actually sewn on them, run their motors and heard them, appreciated their combination of strength and lightness, how the cloth is so maneuverable, and how a perfect top stitch is such a basic, necessary element of all clothing. I still love a great zig-zag but these straight-stitch machines are winning me over.

I used to think vintage machines were cool merely because like cars, I associate their looks with the eras in which they were built. Here's one of the first I ever purchased (about 1.5 years ago):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479043[/ATTACH]

I bought this (White Model 674 'Fair Lady') because it reminds me of a '60s Cadillac. As long as it could lay down a straight and zig-zag stitch without complaining, I was happy. (It turns out to be an excellent machine in every way.) Now I'm buying those old black, dull Singers and can't wait until my next bargain. I used to laugh at them when I passed them up in thrift stores (How expensive was my ignorance...?) and now I can't believe people are letting these go for less than $50. I opened the 201-2's table today, turned on the power, and practiced sewing diagonal lines in a diamond pattern. What a pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails singer15-90-800x600-.jpg   singer15-90motorcase-800x600-.jpg   singer15-91angled.jpg   singer15-91backview.jpg   white764-800x600-.jpg