View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 AM
JoyceHoopes

I've been in the same local guild since 1994. I started out by becoming really involved and loved every minute of it. However during the past five years or so my perspective has changed a lot. Mostly it's because of changes in my life, health, new interests (my foster beagles), and increased family responsibilities. However some is due to changes in the guild itself; it's become very large, almost 200 members. Members want to do lots of things but don't necessarily want to participate in accomplishing them. When they do they very often just want to do their own thing in total disregard of guild bylaws or anything else. I don't have the patience or the temperament to deal with situations like this any more so my way forward has been to keep the membership, attend when something really interests me and to avoid the politics whenever possible. (When I can't, it's well known that I'm not terribly concerned about whether or not the other members like what I'm saying, if I speak up it's because there is either a real problem or the potential for one that can harm the guild). Even though I don't participate on a monthly basis, I've made some wonderful friends through the guild. Some I see only when I attend; others I see or talk to often.

You will never know whether or not this guild is for you unless you make the effort to check it out. The only person to whom you owe any explanation of your final decision is yourself. Think through ahead of time what is and what is not acceptable and go from there. I hope it works out well whatever you decide. Joyce in Delaware