View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 02:26 PM
cat-on-a-mac

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
dunster - I was hoping that you wouldn't say that!!!
nammie - I do it all by machine - hand sewing and I don't get along.
carolaug - do you mean go all the way to the corner and DON'T stop 1/4 inch from the end?

I'm not sure if this is what carolaug meant, but this is what I do -- a trick I learned from Libby Lehman during a class she taught: When you're sewing the binding to the quilt, pause when you reach 1/4" from the end of the side. Pivot, and stitch at 45 degrees out to the exact corner. Then cut your threads, and make your miter. That extra stitching seems to make it much easier to get nice corners when you turn the binding to the other side.

I've just recently been successful at sewing bindings on all by machine -- I usually make my strips 2.5 inches instead of my usual 2.25. Then I sew to the right side, flip the binding to the back and pin it. (I've not tried glue, but I guess that would be safer). THen I machine stitch in the ditch on the front. Sometimes I use one of the decorative stitches on my machine, so it shows, and sometimes I Just SITD with invisible thread. Sometimes I even add a decorative piece of trim right in the ditch, and zig zag over it with invisible thread (ie, couching)