View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
fauxquilter

That's what my partner (Grandpa) says all the time. ;-) if you're really torn, consider what you'll probably have to put into it: cleaning/servicing plus parts--motor, light, light bulb, foot pedal, probably a new belt plus the rubber donut that goes on the bobbin assembly--possibly a case, which is a really good idea because these weigh a ton. There may be worn parts inside the head too but I've never encountered that and given Meister quality, it's unlikely unless it's been through a flood or something.

On the other hand, by the time you clean it up and get it working, you may have a really good machine for about as much or less than you'd pay for a comparable machine from the same era. I recently read a blog by a guy who rescued a Pfaff 130 from the trash (literally), fixed it up and now has a good, sturdy sewing machine. I'd take a flyer on it but I'm the one with two Klasse 101s on my work bench and I have a passion for this particular make and model. As I said in an earlier post, these machines aren't rare but sometimes it takes a little while for one to surface and chances are good that you'd pay more than $20 when one does.

Keep me posted!