View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 04:43 AM
roguequilter

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
I often wondered whether the online freebies were worth trying to download or not. i'll have to check them out ! thanks for the tips, all!
the free versions of security software are the basic functions of the previous years version. you download that version free, and recieve adds toupgrade. the basics are fine for gen'l home use, higher functions safegard the computer better for business.
"Today, 05:05 AMdd
My son is IT and he says to use Kaspersky. Don't think I've had any problems with it.lol"

i have also used kapersky & i agree w your son, it's one of the best. but like norton, mc cafey & some others it is system heavy and really bogs down the processing speed of some older or slower machines. my son writes security software for a adobe, and he was surprised by all the fun little things i could do with the kapersky software .
saw a tech program few years back. they loaded 11 of ther computers w all the current best security software which included all that you have mentioned here plus others. then they infected the computers with the current (at that time) most virulent malware, virus etcetc. then they ran the programs to clean the pc's. every brand ---norton et al, cleaned differently. there was something left on each pc. so they removed the security programs and switched among the computers.

final analysis showed that each software offering in security programs had different built in focus. their conclusion was that no one security system was capable of doing everything, guarding against or removing all threats. some were bettermthan others but, basically, a pc owner should have several on their pc. one that runs all the time. then a couple others to run when all others turned off. essentially scan your pc w different programs for most effective cleaning of threats.

i don't like the ms free one. it is well rated but not rated any better than any of the free versions out there. i have paid for sunsytems, norton & others over the years. all about equal in performance. i have been using AVG Free for last ten years. very good, have it installed on mil pc also. easy for her to use. i tried a couple others that were rated as good or nearly as good as AVG but supposedly w interfaces more easily used than AVG. even i had trouble w them. so i now run AVG Free on hers, mine & hubbys computers. no problems. monitors email, surfing security ..keeps you clean & safe. and it's Free.