View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
Alright, I gave this a try. I have an old heavy iron which works well for pressing and I've used some interfacing before where you have to press and not iron. I laid some scrap fabric on top of the ironing board and sprayed the backs of the squares with a 50/50 mix water and best press. I sprayed them twice or so, pretty lightly. Let them mostly dry, them flipped them over and pressed the other side. One fabric I noticed felt a bit stiffer, the other not so much. It was easier to line up and pin before sewing, but can't say yet whether it was easier to sew. I'll do a few more and see what happens. I wonder also if my back-tacking could be messing things up? I guess it's really not a necessity at this step but has become a bit of a habit...
I never back tack when piecing because all seams will eventually be sewen to another piece rather a block or border so no back tacking is needed. I don't know why you starch on one side and iron on the other. Its going to soak in so it doesn't matter. I just use regular can starch, spray, let it soak in so I don't get the white stuff and the "press" with a hot iron and allow to cool.