View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM
yobrosew

Originally Posted by elizajo View Post
For a King sized quilt, I wonder if you could use this method to make two or three sections, then join them with another method. My problem with quilting large quilts on my sewing machine is moving the bulk of the quilt around without experiencing pain. Even though this method keeps the previously quilted portions to the left, by the final rows, you're still dealing with the weight of the quilt on the left side.
This is a good question. I have quilted each block individually to the batting only, then sewed into rows, then did this method, leaving the backside without quilting. This meant only sewing the straight seam to add each new column. I only use a 3/4 sewing machine and it was a challenge, weight-wise, towards the ends. Thinking on your question has me playing with another idea I am going to try to experiement with. First I would get my rows sewn and then figure a way to crochet with fabric strips the rows together. I really like quilting each block separately to the batting only (or paper piecing to batting) as I do not need to use a quilting foot/walking foot of any kind with my little machine.

Back to the crocheting the rows together; not sure yet HOW I am going to do this but it is playing around in my head! One thing is I would try do this qayg method with the blocks to make up the rows, instead of the row-to-row; block-to-block instead. Then I would have to connect the finished rows. Maybe I will start a post with the process of my search and experimentation?>?>?