View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 AM
DebbE

I've had a number of people ask me the same thing and I always say 'no, sorry - have too many projects going on, and I don't do that.' In my case, it would ruin what I do for enjoyment. People don't have any idea of what things cost, much less paying for your time in doing it. They see a quilt in a discount store priced at less than $100 (made overseas of cheap materials) and think that you can make it for less. What I make I give away -- that way I enjoy the process, and the other person enjoys the gift. Since what I make nowadays is scrappy (using scraps from 40 years of quilting), it only costs me the batting, thread and occasionally, a fat quarter or two of fabrics that 'fit' that person's interests. I am continually looking for old blankets, short fleece, sheets, etc, at yard sales & Goodwill, so the batting is often very inexpensive, too. Not long ago I used a mattress pad from the guest bed (after bleaching and washing it, of course!) for batting -- that made a really nice thicker quilt that is nice & heavy for winter.