View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I recommend getting a Clover Dome Thread Needle Case http://www.joann.com/clover-dome-thr...4&prefv1=false You can thread multiple needles and load them into this and there is no tangling. When you use all the thread on one needle, pull out a new threaded needle, place the empty needle in the case, and continue sewing. Once you have used all the threaded needles, you rethread and reload and you're ready to go. I also pretreat my thread with Thread Heaven before I load them in.

I use mine when I am doing hand work, red work, binding, applique.
I wanted to mention this too, but couldn't remember the name! If you have a friend or relative who can thread needles for you, you might want to get two of these and load them up beforehand. When you use up one, hand it over to friend or relative to thread more needles for you! (That is, assuming you are like me and would find this task challenging when not feeling well.)

I also want to second the recommendation to keep all the centers the same color if you are doing scrappy. It really helps!

Regarding my description of cutting strips and using the Ardco template, I should add that I cut out the strips as usual about 4 layers of fabric at the time, then placed the Ardco template on the 4 layers. Two of the fabric sides matched two of the template sides. I used my rotary cutter to cut the other sides of the hexie. This went pretty fast, and I would *definitely* recommend cutting your hexies out before going to the hospital.