View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Skylark53

Default Singer 500's and 400's

I've located two Singer Rocketeers near (sorta) me, one is a 500A, one is a 503. Both are the same price, the 500A is a bit further away. After some research, I understand that the main difference between the two machines is that the 503 needs cams for any special stitches, and the 500A does not. I like both of them for their design - that is what originally drew me to them.

Then I read about the 400's, which appear to be similar but I'm having trouble narrowing down the differences. Some say they are better built than the Rocketeers (and they do seem to be more expensive).

Because I already have a Featherweight and a Kenmore 158.1430, I'm looking more at the special stitches the 400's and 500's can do. Mainly the embroidery stitches. Depending on the cams you have, can you do things like lettering? Can you achieve anything like some of the fancier modern embroidery machines do? I'm new to machine embroidery so not too familiar with how all this works. I'd love to be able to do something cute like the embroider on these hot air balloons: http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2014...oon-quilt.html Does anyone know if this would be possible on any of the Singer machines?

If the 400's are not far and away better than the 500's, I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these two Rocketeers I came across. Then I have to decide which one. The 500A is about an hour further for me. I sense because they don't use cams that they are worth a bit more - would it potentially be worth it to travel a little further for that one? Granted, I don't know either's condition, they seem ok, but we all know that's no indication.