Thread: What are?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 03:23 AM
Sew Freak

Quilt30, I understand where you're coming from. I sorta feel the same way at times. Case in point - the wedding ring quilt. I've seen it sewn together where the rings are pieced to the background fabric, (way too much work for me) and then I saw a tute from E.Burns where she put together the rings sewing them with fusible interfacing as you would an applique then ironed it in place then sewed it down on the top of the ring - nice, easy, my kind of sewing- BUT IMHO only, while I like this method, I would only make a quilt like this for myself, I'm not sure I'd like to make one as a gift using this applique application, but I feel that the wedding ring quilt would look better sewn together with the background material rather than the look of being appliqued sewn. Don't get discouraged, we've probably all been there. There's just more than one way to make a quilt as you will learn. You might want to start off doing small projects using various blocks with various battings like baby quilts and/or place mats or maybe holiday banners. Two things I would emphasize is to 1-preshrink your material-this is one that gets debated full circle-"p r e s h r i n k!" - bottom line on this - you take your chances! 2- Finish your project! If you start with a small project it will probably be alot easier to complete than a quilt. I personally have found that I've put down a quilt because I wasn't happy with it only to complete it 'years' later while in the meantime it was taking up valuable real estate in my sewing room. Complete it and get rid of it-at least you will have a sense of accomplishment A N D.....once the quilt was completed as ugly as it was I found I really liked it after all!!!! go figure!!! Most of all have fun with your quilting and you can always depend on the QB family for support and really great help and suggestions! Good luck to you and most of all the QB family loves to see pics so be sure to post some when you can.