Old 06-23-2014, 08:16 AM
sdhaevrsi

I found a good (I think) wood dye from a wood working shop in Boise. It is made by General Finishes. I am working and practicing on the FW card table I got. Love the stain, hate the shellac which several of you say is so easy to use! Obviously, I am doing something wrong! I have gotten blotches, streaks, thick areas next to thin areas, and shine next to dull.

Help? Could you post a video of exactly how you do this sometime? You all say it is easy, but I sure can't get it right. I have tried several times, sanding it off and starting over... Then sometimes I have diluted the shellac down with denatured alcohol and tried to "melt and blend." It is not working for me. I need to see someone doing it, I guess. I have tried to find a video tutorial online, but have not found one that shows how to do this.

French polishing seems to be put on extremely thinly, which I didn't do the first times I tried getting the shellac on... But I tried to follow your instructions on QB instead of googling it first.

I wish you lived next door so that I could come over and watch you shellac!!