View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 05:56 AM
DonnaFreak

Default Taking the Free-Motion Plunge, But.....

Howdy y'all

OK...I've always followed the FMQ threads on here with much interest, but I've never seen this addressed on here before. I've taken an FM class, I've done some practicing, and I'm ready to attempt my first FM project. I've made a wall hanging for my sewing room and plan to use sewing motifs (spools, pincushions, etc.) in my quilting. I have 4 sandwiches spray basted together to practice on that are approximately 2' X 3' so I can practice going around corners as I'm quilting. If I mess up on my own quilt, I'll have it hanging on my wall to see how far I've come instead of giving it to someone else!

My problem is that it just feels so awkward to me to go side to side instead of front to back like you do in "regular" sewing. I mentioned that in the class I took, and the teacher said that there were no set rules...if it's easier for me to feed the fabric front to back then that was fine. I actually did better in the class when I did the motifs she supplied by going front to back like I'm used to.

But for one thing, I want to learn to do this the RIGHT way. For another, all the tutorials you see online for different motifs use the side-to-side method for teaching. Since I'm just learning, it's hard enough for a beginner to learn to do it their way, much less trying to learn to do it in a different direction than the teacher.

So has anyone else had this problem? Please someone tell me I'm not the only one who finds the right way to do it "unnatural"! LOL! Does anyone have any tips for getting my brain wrapped around going sideways on a DSM? As always, I'm really looking forward to your answers!

Donna