Old 06-24-2014, 05:06 PM
jackiequilts4fun

Default Will you talk (long arm ... mid arm) quilting with me?

So, I'm sort of new to this.
Took a quilting class many years ago ... close to 30.
Didn't really stick with it.
Didn't know anybody then who was doing it.

Today I have a good Viking Designer 1 machine,
and I'm piecing up a storm.
When it comes time to quilt, I'm sending it out.
Have only done this a few times now, but it is frustrating me.
I'd like to do my own!

Now, I do NOT have a budget of thousands to be looking at long arms or mid arms. Even sit downs.
But if I'd find one used .... And that is what I am thinking.
I know of several used machines right now, and all of them could be ok.

Let me start with the first.
I THOUGHT I wanted a Handi Quilter Sweet 16 (sit down).
I'd tried it out at the local quilt shop more than once.
Thought this would just be perfect for me.
I LOVED the fact that it is sit-down, and I like the long throat space.
Would fit just fine in my sewing room.

Well, I attended the Chicago quilt show over the wknd.
Had the time of my life!!!
Tried out ALL the quilting machines.
I very quickly decided that I liked the "feel" of using the handles on the machine, rather than guiding my quilt around on a table top.
So ... now I am looking at the mid arms, or long arms.

I am disappointed that I'll probably have to "move" my sewing room to the basement if I get anything other than a sit-down machine. But, at least I have the option.

The machine that I seemed to love the best from the quilt show was the Block Rockit.
I could even buy new, although the price is my upper limit of what I want to spend.

I have an opportunity to buy a used APQS, but the frame is really a whole lot larger than what I want to get into. I have NO desire whatsoever to begin a business (I've never "quilted" anything large). This machine does not have the stitch regulator which I have taken a liking to. It does have a beautifully large throat area. I am told the machine is "older," but expected to last many years to come.

There is another opportunity to buy a Husqvarna Mega Quilter with a 10' frame, stitch regulator, cruise control .... and I like that fact that this is quite a lot less than I thought I might be spending. I am leaning toward this machine, actually. I am told it is not very old and that it is in good condition. My hesitation is that it has a 9' throat, so not a lot of stitching area. I LOVE the idea that I can also use the machine for piecing, especially if I would travel some. Would be a good machine to take with me. And I am a fan of Viking.

Can you all help me?
I think I can quilt a queen sized project on the Husqvarna.
Because I do not want a larger frame, I'm ok with this (even though my bed is a king size).
In all likelihood, I'd probably quilt a lot of runners, baby blankets, and twin size or double size quilts.

I still LOVE the idea of a sit-down, but since I've felt the difference in using a machine that I've guided using the handles, that really felt so much more comfortable.

But then again .... the idea of keeping the quilter in my PRESENT sewing room is a real plus for me.
But it'd require the sit down machine (that I thought I wanted).
Why do those HQ Sweet Sixteens have to be so expensive. Grrrrrrr.