View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 PM
MFord

Default Pre-washing questions

Hi! I've joined the pre-wash crowd - wondering if the reason my allergies and asthma have been so bad the last few years is because of all the unwashed fabric I've collected...plus several vintage sewing machines...

So, I'm madly washing my stash! I expect it will take a few weeks to get it all done, and some of it may need to be ironed Anyway, I have several questions for the more experienced quilters:

1. I bought a number (78, actually) of 9.5" muslin squares that had been very carefully made many years ago by someone without any fabric to spare. Many of the squares are two pieces sewn together. Also, some are very beige and some fairly white, so I think I'll have to be careful with my lights. I plan to make a couple of small strip quilts for the Linus Project, as they are easy to work on when you just have a little bit of time. The question is: do I pre-wash the muslin squares? I'm afraid they would just shred in the washing machine. I could soak them and let them dry naturally or iron them dry when they're damp - would that shrink them enough so they won't overshrink when the quilt is later washed? I just don't want to go to the effort of serging all those edges! Yes - lazy as charged!

2. Should I use anything special when I pre-wash? I'm putting in Retayne and color catchers with the dark colors - do I need anything else?

I had another question but now I've forgotten it. Lazy and forgetful both! Oh, no, I'd better go do something important now!! Maybe a nap is in order.

Thank you, my friends!

Margaret F