Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 PM
ansew

I am in the same predicament as wanting a longarm but short on funds. I already have a Juki 98 and a Grace frame. It was suggested to me by a longarmer that I use the system I have now for awhile getting used to frame quilting. It was how she started out and she kept upgrading until she has the system she has today (a 26").

I have decided that since I already have this shortarm system, this is a wise decision for me. As she said, she has seen many women think they will use a frame quilter, get in over their heads or decide they really don't like it as much as they thought they would, didn't like the mechanical side of it, the learning curve, and end up selling the system.

I know about the limitations of the 9" throat, but for small quilts, i.e. baby, it should be fine and it will get my feet wet and give me an idea of whether I want to pursue a longer arm machine and frame.

I have looked into the BlockRockit, and indeed, it looks to be an interesting and wonderful machine, however, right now, they are going through some "birthing pains"but I have no doubt, that once those get worked out, it will be a fine machine.

If once I have played with my current system and I still want to upgrade, I will keep the Juki to piece.

You might look at overthekitchencounter.com--she uses a small 9" inch Janome on a frame, uses rulers, and has some videos on youtube. I think she posts here as well.

Good luck in your search.