View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Barb in Louisiana

First let me say...I have a long arm and am pitiful at even following a pantograph. A friend told me to do the quilt, wash it and you won't even notice. She was mostly right. All my grandbabies that I have made quilts for, love them a lot. They don't see any of the glaring errors and hearts that look like beets or butts. haha I am getting better, but am not an artistic (can't draw worth a lick) person so doing free motion quilting will probably be a long time coming for me.

I never even practiced. I had a "Just Can't Cut It" quilt top made from WalMart fabrics and just used a panto for my first quilt. It is a long way from perfect, but I still use that quilt today. The batting cost more than any of the other material in the quilt. Make a "cheap" quilt that could be a baby quilt of 1 piece of material on front and back. This is how I practice. I end up with something usable and can judge how I am progressing. I still won't quilt some things I have had made for a while, because I do want them to be a bit special. Make some strip quilts. Measure WOF and cut difference size strips of several fabrics. Put a sashing between them and practice on them. I really wouldn't keep working on something that you don't really plan to do anything with, but that's just me.

I buy the 108" wide muslin when it's on sale at Joann's or Hancocks or use my coupon. Then I only have to cut the length I need. Most often that will help. I cut an extra 6 to 8 inches to keep everything square and to practice after I change the bobbin on my very pre-owned Nolting 1996 model. It is a workhorse!

All the videos and everything make it look like you will be an expert in just a few quilts. Unless you are an absolute genius, it just is not going to happen that quick. We all get better as we go.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-28-2014 at 09:24 AM.