View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 09:28 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

I think sewing/quilting sooths my soul. My Mom taught me to do embroidery when I was 6, starting with a simple pot holder kit from the 5 and 10 cent store. Then she helped me transfer embroidery patterns onto pillowcases, and I did embroidery off and on for years. Mom also taught me to sew simple box pleated skirts, and in high school I took Home Economics for 2 years, where I learned how to read patterns and how not to put in a zipper, although my Home Ec. teacher taught me the right way to put in a zipper. In high school and for years later I made all my own clothes, then when I had my kids I made clothes for them as well, especially fancy dresses for my daughter. I progressed to sewing crafts, making cloth dolls and selling them, as well as doll clothes. After trying ceramics, crocheting, knitting and counted cross stitch I discovered quilts, and discovered my passion. When planning a family reunion, I asked my sister and brothers to send fabric and I made the first family reunion quilt, which my oldest brother won. After that, I made a quilt for every bi-annual reunion, choosing different colors each time, then I make the quilt and it's raffled off and has become the highlight of the reunions. My family looks forward to seeing what I have done with the fabric they sent and the competition is spirited to see who wins the quilt. I also make smaller wall quilts, placemats, table runners, quilted bags and an assortment of other quilted items which I sell at craft fairs so I can make my "mad money" to support my "fabric habit". Quilting keeps me sane, keeps me calm in times of stress and loss, it makes me happy and that's why I quilt.