View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 04:42 AM
Feathers

Originally Posted by hannahsmom
that is so cute.. how did you get involved in that type of service project? I want to do that too
Hannahsmom: I think I answered this question for you earlier and it might have been in a PM but for anyone else who is interested in making quilts for foster kids all you would need to do is contact your local Protective Services Dept. office. It's a state agency and is usually located in the offices where people go to apply for welfare, food stamps, and medical assistance. Speak with a supervisor and ask if they would be able to use a quilt or two. My guess is they'd snap up your offer in a heartbeat. Our quilt group makes and donates about 50 quilts a year to our local Foster kids. We put each quilt in a "stuff bag" that we also make so the kids can have "luggage" to pack their clothes in when they are moved from foster home to where ever rather than having to put all their belongings in a black plastic garbage bag. The stuff bags are varied in size depending on the size of fabric we have and want to use up. The bags are never smaller than a pillow case.

Bluphrog mentioned Project Linus. We have donated many quilts to Linus, too. Either program is worthy and appreciative of the quilt donations.