Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
The Singer 99 and 128 are 3/4 size machines, the featherweight is a 1/2 size machine.
Sharon
Yes the 28 and 99 are about the same size, but not the same weight (28s are much heavier). Just happened to weigh mine and it's just shy of 16kg (that's 35.2lb for the metrically challenged). Don't know about the 99 but it's definitely a lot less than that.

Several things have really shocked me with sewing machines but two of them were:
1. How well the 201 stitches, and
2. What a fantastic machine the VS2 turned out to be.
The 201 because it was an aluminium one and tan coloured, so I avoided using the ugly little thing for months, until I had to sew through several layers of vintage denim. It went through it like the denim wasn't even there and I was in love!
The VS2 sat very pretty for several months in the lounge room. Bought it because of its obvious good looks, and once again had jeans, this time was making them for youngest daughter. Hadn't trimmed the waist band (to make it stiffer) so there were four layers and none of my 23 electric machines could make a buttonhole through that much denim because of the pulling involved. The needle would go through fine, just broke several needles.
In desperation, I put a 1950s buttonholer on the VS2, selected an eye type template and without any tweaking of tensions it just go on with it. Moved the fabric just right and I got a perfect buttonhole and that 201 denim grin that lasted all day. I'm sure the 201 would have done it just as well, but I'd loaned it to my friend.