View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 05:10 AM
MarthaT

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Why are polyester fabrics not recommended for our quilts? We use it and a multitude of other fibers for batting, why not in the fabrics? Personally I like the sheen and the colorfast qualities (esp black) of poly. Can anyone explain why these are not recommended for our creations?
I think it is okay to use poly., and other, fabrics in a quilt if you are good with that. Fabrics of different content wear differently, fade and shrink differently. Personally, I think, if a quilt is going to be used and loved to death, it probably doesn't matter as much about the content. If you want it to become a family heirloom or are making a show quilt, you may want to be more concerned about the fabric content.

You commented about batting...as far as I know, when someone uses poly batting in a quilt, they use it for the whole quilt. They do not typically piece together a bit of bamboo, some silk, wool, and cotton batting to finish out the quilt. They are consistent with using the same kind of batting on the whole quilt. Some are just as careful about piecing the whole top with one type of fabric also.

Remember, there are no quilt police!