View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Wunder-Mar

I taught this quilt workshop at my guild last summer and it was very successful with very happy results from everyone. As a bonus, I did the math for a few of the participants to make alternate sizes of this design and the yardage for people who wanted to make 2-fabric quilts to bust down their stashes. Fabric requirements below do not include yardage f for borders, since everyone likes different widths.

76 x 84:
39 strips print fabric 2.5" x WOF (2.75 yards for a 2-fabric quilt)
39 strips light solid fabric 2.5" x WOF (2.75 yards for a 2-fabric quilt)
5/8 yd binding fabric
5-1/4 yds backing fabric

67 x 67:
33 strips print fabric 2.5" x WOF (2.5 yards for a 2-fabric quilt)
33 strips light solid fabric 2.5" x WOF (2.5 yards for a 2-fabric quilt)
1/2 yd binding fabric
4 yds backing fabric

48 x 48:
18 strips print fabric 2.5" x WOF (1.25 yards for a 2-fabric quilt)
18 strips light solid fabric 2.5" x WOF (1.25 yards for a 2-fabric quilt)
1/2 yd binding fabric
3 yds backing

Several of my students used the triangular units cut off at the beginning and end of cutting the strip sets to make pinwheel blocks which were donates to our Charity Bee.

Also, some very striking quilts happened when quilters used either a single color or a family of two or three complementary colors plus a moderately or slightly lighter or darker value "sashing" fabric within one of the color families. The geometric pattern still emerges, but it's softened quite nicely. Several gorgeous quilts were made of autumn colors family, the purple family, and the blue family.

Last edited by Wunder-Mar; 06-30-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: to include more information and make format easier to read