View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM
judy5cents

Default Found a Singer 239 for 14.99 Woo Hoo

Since watching Bonnie Hunter on Quiltcam I have become interested in vintage machines. I have kept my eyes open in thrift shops and have been browsing Kijiji for a few months now.

I am of the opinion that if you wait long enough... you will find what you need at the price you want to pay. You just need to be patient.

Yesterday I found a Singer 239 in a wooden cabinet with the fold out arm for 14.99 at my local thrift store. They have 7 day return policy. I took it home, check it over, plugged it in and it sews beautifully.

So far the only thing that is not working is the bobbin winder, I have found some repair instructions so I will give these a read and see if I can discover the problem, if not then I will just use my other machine to wind bobbins.

I am thrilled with my new machine . It has a distinctive smell that reminds me of when I was young and learned to sew on my mothers sewing machine. Not sure what it is but I recognized the smell immediately.

I will be reading the threads on this forum avidly as there is a wealth of information here. I plan on using this for quilting and was thrilled to also discover that it has low shank feet so all my other feet from my kenmore fit as well.

Judy