View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 AM
helou

Originally Posted by nena View Post
I have been doing ancestry and how I wish I had paid more attention to stories that were told. A word of advice , write down things you can remember and but away for your children. Someone in your family will some day be where we are now and will be so happy to have it.
I was going to write that. I once read that every person could write what they remember of their own parents , grandparents, their own childhood memories etc... no need to be a writer, just some lines here and there so that once the next generation reaches their 60's or 70's in age they could have something they did not think of asking when they were younger.
I started being interested in genealogy and family history when I was in my 40's and my parents were still alive. I still remember their smiling eyes when they answer some of my questions and I was taking notes about their parents, grand-parents, their first Xmas gifts (which they did not have except for and orange and some little treats and it was on New Year's day not at Xmas, etc...)

Dad's grandfather was born in the States and mom's father was 4th generation of Irish descendant and I still have a hard time to speak english... go wonder loll

I went into genealogy and family history to try to find out some of the questions I was not interested in when I was younger. Now, I am writing some of the "stuff" I know in case my nieces and their children (I have no children) get interested in when they reach retirement age... who knows!