View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 AM
elomax

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
WHY do people even want "miracle cleaners" or "shortcut" processes. The finish on these machines took decades to get into the condition they are in, why do people want to reverse that in such a hurry? Being able to get the best results would seem to be the most important part, not the time taken.

These machines use natural materials (shellac = bug parts for example) and modern chemicals NEVER react well with them.

(With that said, I use Brasso on metal parts ALL the time, but SM Oil only on the painted surfaces)

Glenn: AMAZING job, I think I am going to hold my next event with the intent to raise funds to get you out here for an in person class session...
If you are addressing me and my approach to cleaning the exterior of a sewing machine, I learned a very valuable lesson here: test your solution in an inconspicuous place and do not be in a rush to complete the work.

I made my original post to learn more about what appears to be a very successful exterior cleaning and finishing restoration process and one man's approach to this process.

Had I known more about the nature and composition of the finishes on the exterior of these vintage machines and, especially, the best practices that have discovered to approach the cleaning and/or refinishing of a vintage Neechi sewing machine, I would have done the work of cleaning of my Necchi using one of these practices.